DE Pool Filters are one of the most efficient pool filters on the market. Unlike cartridges, they can be cleaned through backwashing and recharging. They also offer the benefit of filtering down to 4 microns. In comparison, a sand filter only filters down to 30 – 40 microns. That is a significant difference. Improper care is one of the challenges with DE Filters. Watch our “how to” video and follow the process below to clean and recharge your filter like the pros:
Know the size of your filter.
Read the tag on the filter to get the SQ of the filter (see picture). This will tell you the new start amount for DE Recharging.
- You DO NOT want to add this amount when recharging.
- This is the amount required when the filter has been opened and cleaned by a professional or the filter is new.
- You always want to recharge with 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs less than the required new start amount.
- The reason for this is you will never get 100% of the DE off the grids when backwashing and recharging.
Listed below are your common filter sizes and recommended recharge amounts
- 36 SQ – 2lbs
- 48 SQ – 3 lbs
- 60 SQ – 4 ½ lbs
- 80 SQ – 6.5 lbs
- 100 SQ – 8 lbs
Prepare to backwash and rinse your filter
A couple notes before you start the backwash/ rinse cycle:
- You always want to move your multiport handle clockwise and only move when the system is off.
- If you have a backwash hose, make sure it is fully extended.
- Some systems have a ball valve on the backwash pipe that will need to be opened prior to backwashing. Always check for this and open prior to backwashing.
- Once you have extended your backwash line, you can begin the process of cleaning and recharging your de filter.
Now, it is time to properly clean the old DE out of the filter. You do this by using the multiport to backwash and rinse the filter. See attached photo to know the setting you will use on the multiport for this process. (Backwash, Rinse, & Filter)
- First, cut your system off and move the multiport clockwise to the Backwash position.
- Cut system on and begin the backwashing process. This can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute.
- Once the site glass goes clear, shut your pump off and move the multiport to the rinse positions.
- Cut this system on and run the system in the rinse setting for 5 to 15 seconds. Cut the system off and move the multiport to the backwash setting.
- Turn system on in backwash again and watch for site glass to go clear. Once clear, cut system off and move multiport back to rinse setting
- Repeat these steps until you are no longer getting DE/ Dirty water coming out of the waste line.
- There is not a set number of times or seconds to do this. You will continue to do this until you are no longer getting DE and debris coming out of the waste line when backwashing.
- Always finish in the rinse process once you are no longer getting DE out the waste line when backwashing
Steps to recharging the filter
- The Multiport should be in the filter setting and pump should be running.
- In a bucket using a 1 lb de scoop, Mix DE and water to create an oatmeal consistency.
- The amount of DE required should be 1 to 2 lbs less than stated on the filter tag. See step 1 for exact amounts.
- Pour DE mixture slowly into pool skimmer as shown in video.
- Watch pool returns to ensure DE is not shooting through the filter.
- If DE is coming back through pool returns, you need to contact a professional to break apart the pool filter.
- Once mixture has been applied to filter, check filter pressure and record what clean/charged filter pressure.
- Once PSI is 10 over clean pressure, it will be time to repeat the process.
Even with backwashing and recharging, it is still recommended to have a professional take apart the filter to clean and
inspect grids. J&M Pool Company offers this with our quarterly services to ensure all equipment is running properly. Below you will find photos of dirty vs.clean grids and different styles of DE Filters.
"A very pleasant experience for me with J & M Pools.From setting up the service to receiving the service was excellent. Friendly and professional with everyone involvedThankfully mine was a simple wiring fix and Bob and Brandon had it done in about five minutes. I’ll certainly be using them again and recommending them to others.."